Virtual Assistants are entrepreneurs who must compete in a changing technological marketplace, learn new skills, understand customer loyalty and provide quality services. Blogging is a key tool for VA’s to develop an online presence, build credibility and attract new business. You don’t have to be a professional writer or journalist to blog.
Here’s my version of The 10 Commandments of Blogging for Virtual Assistants.
- Thou shall keep your finger on the pulse of your targeted industry and ideal clients to help you better understand the challenges they are facing.
- Thou shall provide easy tips and valuable information without a sales pitch.
- Thou shall write from your heart and be genuine.
- Thou shall write about topics you are knowledgeable and comfortable with so the words come easy.
- Thou shall focus on content and not length of the post.
- Thou shall be enthusiastic about your topic as readers will pick up on your passion.
- Thou shall write with a fine balance of humility and self-confidence.
- Thou shall read posts written by other VA’s to help you learn about trends, writing styles and creativity.
- Thou shall look for opportunities to be a guest blogger and post other people’s blogs on your site to gain more traction.
10. Thou shall write catchy and short headlines with keywords for maximum SEO benefits.
Many people who don’t like to write are now creating video blogs. These 1-2 minute segments help you communicate visually. They allow viewers to see and hear your message, personality, style and voice. Determine which format is best for you, and get started. Blogging takes time and critical thinking skills but is well worth the effort.
Susan Young works with business owners and associations who want to use publicity to increase their visibility, credibility and revenues. She’s the President of Get in Front Communications, Inc., a public relations and communications training company. Coaching is also available. Visit www.getinfrontblogging.com and www.getinfrontcommunications.com. Follow Susan on Twitter @sueyoungmedia.