When you’re running your own business, there are a thousand pieces of marketing materials you need to write. Whether it’s your newsletter, an email campaign, social media posts, blog articles, or a book, sometimes the challenge of getting your ideas out on paper can seem insurmountable. Stop stewing and trying to force the thought out – that never works. Instead, here are a few tips to help you get unstuck:
1. Get out of your head. Go outside and take a walk, attend an exercise class or play with your dog. Creating physical movement and increasing your heart rate brings blood and oxygen to your brain and clears your mind from any distracting thoughts or “clutter”. When you get back to your desk, you’ll be refreshed and ready to write.
2. Take a break. It’s no use to keep banging your head against the computer hoping the words will fall out. Attend to another task that can be completed within an hour or two. Once you get that feeling of satisfaction from finishing one task, you’ll be in a better frame of mind to attack the writing.
3. Find a different angle. Often you just need to look at your subject from a different perspective to get the ideas flowing. Instead of approaching the subject head-on, try to think of a question your audience might have about it and use that as a jumping off point. Or address any objections or areas of confusion your audience might have.
4. Get organized. Rather than expecting yourself to sit down and immediately be able to compose a structured piece of writing that hits all the points you need to cover, make an outline instead. Formulating a brief list will help you see any ideas you’re missing and provide you with a step-by-step guide to completing the work.
5. Delegate! Not everyone enjoys writing or is good at it. If you are in either category, did you know that it’s easy to find a professional copywriter to handle this task for you? Yup, your Virtual Assistant either already has a terrific copywriter on her team or can help you hire one. You can offload the writing and focus your energy where you want to: your business!
Don’t stay stuck when you can just delegate any copywriting that you’d rather avoid. Let me know what your copywriting needs are, and we can create an editorial calendar that works for you. Contact me today!