A common misconception of project managers is that all they do is run around making sure everyone else does their job. But the truth is that they do vital work that is far more complex than playing traffic cop. It’s work that has a very specialized function that not everyone is good at.
What a Project Manager Does
While each project varies, a project manager typically performs several core roles that are vital to the success of every project. A good project manager will:
1. Control scope of work. The size of a project can easily balloon during the planning stages when ideas are blossoming. A PM helps rein it in to hew to the original vision and goal.
2. Find appropriate resources. A PM secures the equipment, supplies, or specialty labor (such as web coding or copywriting) you need. This also includes calculating the financial resources needed for the project.
3. Budget and track finances. PMs keep a watchful eye on expenses and prevent projects from burning through too much money.
4. Create order of operations and schedule of work. PMs have the vision to see the logical flow of tasks and can develop workflows for each player with appropriate deadlines.
5. Follow up. PMs communicate with key players to ensure work is correctly executed, complete, and on time. PMs will also evaluate the quality of work.
6. Manage risk. A PM will anticipate risks and problems, and comes up with creative solutions or ways to revise the plan to avoid these problems.
A project manager does so much more than chase after people to make sure they do their work. And not everyone is good at project management. You may truly excel at creating fantastic new programs that your clients love. But that does not mean you also have the nitty-gritty skills required to make those programs a reality and a success.
What You Need in a Project Manager
A good project manager has some very specific skills that are essential to successfully executing complex or large projects. She should be:
• Supremely organized
• An excellent written and verbal communicator
• An effective resourcing agent
• Creative problem solver
Hire a Project Manager
I’ve got the experience and the resources to ensure that all your projects will be completed on time and within budget. And it’ll be fun, too! So if you are planning a new endeavor or want existing jobs to run smoothly, and want the expert guiding hand of a skilled project manager, contact me today.